Thank you to the lovely, talented Lisa Galek for honoring me with my first ever blogging award: The Honest Scrap Blogger Award. Apparently, I’m honest. Which is quite ironic given the fact that I’m a fiction writer. Mwahahahaha! I write lies! All lies!
I have to share ten things about myself and share this award with other honest bloggers. So here goes…
1. For quite a long time I have had the story of a 16 year old girl in my head but had never written for a young adult audience. So, I was pretty scared to write it. This week, I officially decided to take the plunge. I hope all of you YA writers will welcome me with open arms and loving hearts and help me not be so scared.
2. I wrote a novel when I was 11 years old called “Ten Is Enough.” In the coming weeks I plan to subject all of you to a few excerpts. Get excited!
3. I love to cook and I love to eat. I am obssessed with the farm to table craze and I belong to a CSA which forces me to figure out how to cook with things like 12 pounds of Kale.
4. I have lived in New York state for 27.5 of 30 years. 2 years were spent in Boston. .5 in the UK.
5. Of the 27.5 years in New York, 1.5 of them were spent in Astoria, Queens. 17 of them were spent in a town called Hicksville which is on the semi-north shore of Long Island. (Yes, it’s called Hicksville.) 3.5 of them were spent in Ithaca. 4 of them were spent on the island of Manhattan. 1.5 of them were spent in Brooklyn.
6. I currently live in Brooklyn, in a neighborhood technically called the Columbia Waterfront District. Some people call it Red Hook. Others call it Carroll Gardens. I call it no-man’s land because it is a 10 minute walk from the subway. I live with my boyfriend, Tyler.
7. I am an only child but I like to think I play well with others. Unless you want to borrow my bike, in which case, I’ll cry.
8. I work at a toy company as a writer and producer. In other words, if you push a button on a toy, I wrote, recorded, edited, and produced all the music and speech you hear. Every time I tell people what I do, they ask me if working at a toy company is like the movie Big. I am here to tell you, it is nothing like the movie Big.
9. I loooooove dresses and skirts. From May to September, I do not wear pants. In the winter, I wear the same clothes but I put turtlenecks and wool tights underneath them.
10. I really love to blog and read your blogs. This whole ‘I write, you read’ then ‘you write, I read’ thing makes me really happy.
I would like to extend this award to the following bloggers:
Sharon Mayhew at Random Thoughts, who was my first blogging friend. She is as sweet as cake and writes about cake. I plan to to buy all of her children’s books when they are published and give them to my kids.
Lori H. Walker, who always has so many thoughtful, interesting things to say about writing and teaching on her blog.
Karen at The Oliva Reader who reads and reviews the kinds of books I like to read on her blog. We are encouraging one another in our month of writing and I’m very excited.
Kerri Arista because her songs and her words are beautiful and honest and I’m excited she is writing a book.
Christine at Inwardly Digesting because I’ve just discovered her blog and I like it very much.